Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The individual

22 November 2006

Its so funny that I was talking about the role/importance of the individual in American society as this exact topic came up in class yesterday. I’m beginning to realize, more and more, that this difference in thinking is not only shown through the small differences, like how Americans act in the streets, but runs much deeper. The small differences just a few of the outward hints to complete different cultural inner workings.

An example of this is the American government and its function in society. Perhaps it can be found more strikingly in economics. (Mind you this is all theory as I’m sure we can all guess things play out much differently in reality). The American economy lifts the individual higher than the group saying it’s better to strive to create equal opportunity, so that individually everyone starts from the same place. So if energies are directed towards creating equal CHANCE then one’s success is dependant on the individual and not on the state. Better put, creating equal opportunity means you will have inequality. But the government need not to take care of the inequality because in theory it would be the fault of the individual for not succeeding—the problem lies with the individual and not with the system. If one doesn’t reach their goals or isn’t successful it is because of their inability to work hard enough to get it.

As I said, just theory, as we all know it’s different in reality, but this nonetheless is the mindset of the average American. When I see individualism from this perspective I realize I truly have grown up in America because I like this system. I like trying to create equal opportunity because I’m not so sure I’m a fan of socialism. Actually a large difference, is that America places importance ‘Liberté’ while France places importance on ‘Egalité.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home