CSP: Talking about movies
21 November 2006
I wonder why there aren’t more events that people can go to and talk about cinema/a movie they saw. After taking my film class I realized there are so many great meanings, interpretations, insights, and interesting topics brought up in films that, when you can sit down and talk about such things with a room full of people, would have never realized otherwise. In my opinion one of the best things about cinema is using it as a means of artist expression, a medium in which on can convey meaning, work though tough questions, anything really…one can use film for a multitude of things. Yet it’s only through reviews and websites that this discussion seems to happen.
I feel like there are more cinematic events here in France, at least ‘aux salles d’art et essai.’ They always have things like lectures, discussions, directors who come in to talk, events for children, even sometimes debates. There aren’t places that have things like back home…at least not that I know of in my town. I think it’s great, it seems to be one way of meeting with others and having a chance to talk movies as a whole, which is what I would think many directors hope for. Also, I think this speaks to the importance of cinema in France…it seems to be more culturally focused (at least at the independent cinemas) and less focused on entertainment.
I wonder why there aren’t more events that people can go to and talk about cinema/a movie they saw. After taking my film class I realized there are so many great meanings, interpretations, insights, and interesting topics brought up in films that, when you can sit down and talk about such things with a room full of people, would have never realized otherwise. In my opinion one of the best things about cinema is using it as a means of artist expression, a medium in which on can convey meaning, work though tough questions, anything really…one can use film for a multitude of things. Yet it’s only through reviews and websites that this discussion seems to happen.
I feel like there are more cinematic events here in France, at least ‘aux salles d’art et essai.’ They always have things like lectures, discussions, directors who come in to talk, events for children, even sometimes debates. There aren’t places that have things like back home…at least not that I know of in my town. I think it’s great, it seems to be one way of meeting with others and having a chance to talk movies as a whole, which is what I would think many directors hope for. Also, I think this speaks to the importance of cinema in France…it seems to be more culturally focused (at least at the independent cinemas) and less focused on entertainment.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home