Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Boys in packs and polos

20 November 2006

I like hanging out with non-Americans. I always seem to have a better time with them. It’s not that I don’t like BEING American, because I like my country…but I hate obnoxious Americans and sadly they stick out like a sore thumb in Europe, especially in France. Having distance away from the US has helped me see why Americans get negative stereotypes. It’s probably not the majority, but I’ve found that the few who are leave a big impression on the county to which they travel, and sadly the stereotypes given are way too true. I can immediately spot them out: loud, loud and speaking English loudly, assuming others should be able to speak English, always in HUGE groups (thus becoming even louder), casual clothing (especially with the boys…baggy jeans, Abercrombie polos and baseball hats all of which just shout out “U.S.A.!”), often annoying or inconsiderate of others around them.

Actually the most annoying for me is when I see other Americans who are just so unaware of everything and everyone around them. They seem to only be concerned about THEIR needs, because I guess they’re the only ones who matter. Maybe this is why they always travel in packs, unaware that they are taking up the entire sidewalk that’s not big enough for two people to begin with. Or the reason they feel compelled to shout over one another when talking. Or why they get so trashed and make fools of themselves. Or why the boys in my hostel room in Barcelona didn’t feel compelled to pick up after themselves, leaving the place trashed…because that’s what the janitor is paid for. And why they didn’t feel the need to be considerate of the other people sleeping in the room. It’s the individualistic mindset that I hate about Americans—these are MY rights, these are MY needs, this is what I want. And I think that here in lies a huge difference for me between Americans and my experience here thus far…and why I really don’t want to go home quite yet. The thing is that people do the same thing from other countries. They like to have a good time, to have a few drinks, to stay out late, to go out in groups… American’s aren’t the only ones who can get loud and crazy. But what’s different is the whole mentality behind all of there actions. Americans are so focused on themselves, where I feel this isn’t as prevalent with other cultures. I feel they are less individualistic, and not only are they more conscience of their surroundings, but they are more respectful of them too.

And I am by no means saying this is every American. As a matter of fact I doubt it’s a large percentage. But sadly these Americans make a pretty strong name for all of us. For instance the guy from Cleveland who I met in Barcelona was not like this. He was only 18 but more mature than some 25 and 40 year olds that I’ve met. The difference was that he was traveling alone, which I find is the best way to go. Traveling with more than a few people (if even any) is the best way to experience another culture. Once you get a large group of people all from the same country, its just natural to go into what’s comfortable to you—doing all the things you would do in your own culture. And so you create this little bubble…your own, little world, with a culture familiar to you, which in turn makes it impossible to experience another country and its people.

Too many Americans come here wanting to have an American experience but in a different country, though they don’t often recognize this. But it just doesn’t work that way, you can’t go somewhere and do the exact same things you do at home and think that you’ve “seen” another country. That’s why it bothers me when people say, “Oh the French are so stuck up,” or, “Italians are so snotty.” They’re saying that from inside their bubble…maybe if they stepped out a little they’d see things from the other perspective.

All that to say, I love not hanging out with just Americans. I love not being in a big group. I love meeting new people. I love experiencing all the newness. At times it is more tiring and more difficult and it’s at those times I realize how easy it would be to slip back into my American skin and feel at home. But that’s what I’ve liked so much about being abroad, is encountering those difficult times and being forced to not resort to going back to what’s comfortable. I just wish I had more time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home