Clinton
12 November 2006
Remember Clinton. Right, that was a dumb question, who doesn’t remember Clinton. During his ‘scandalous presidential affair’ (ha. no pun intended), I lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Yup the conservative, Christian capital of the nation. If I remember correctly, many Christians in the town had a very big problem with the whole Monica Lewinsky ordeal. Why? Because by their standards, the actions committed by the two were morally wrong. Everyone was asking how could it be that our county’s leader was having an affair…what’s more lie about it on national television…and then still be called our president? Oh, that’s horrific! Absolutely ridiculous! What kind of example is he setting for our children!? What does this say about the quality of his leadership!? At least this was my perception of the attitude of several Christians in the city and even at my church.
Let’s fast forward a few years to the present. At this same church there was a similar event which passed. This time with the pastor himself. Not only was he called out for buying meth (whether he used it or not is still unknown), but also for having some kind of ‘sexual relation’, over a three year period, with a homosexual male prostitute. What’s more, he initially denied these claims and even ever knowing the man. The church, the city, the nation for that matter, was shocked by this news. Now here’s what confuses me. Everyone at the church, though deeply hurt by what happened, is in full support of the pastor and his family…realizing that even the strongest of leaders aren’t exempt from falling, and from what I can gather, from the computer in my little room in France across the globe, is that most feel that this weakens the legitimacy of his teachings or his leadership skills. And most importantly, everyone is ‘praying hard’ for the pastor and his family.
Now I do not bring this up to point fingers, nor to condemn, nor to say that Christians are hypocritical because in all truthfulness I hate hearing such comments. Those things are all overused, especially with religious topics. I merely bring this up because I find it intriguing and I have questions. Here are a few: Why is it that both were considered wrong, at least by Christian standards, but Clinton’s case was looked upon very negatively and the pastor’s, positively. Positive in the sense that the church says it’s a chance to pull through, to be strong in faith, to trust in God, etc. I don’t ever recall hearing such statements by Christians during the time of Clinton’s ‘scandal.’ Why did Clinton’s leadership credibility plummet yet not that of the Pastor’s (at least in the eyes of the church body)? And do you think the moral standards of a pastor should be higher than those of a president? Or should both be weighed by the same standards? Which makes me ask who creates those standards? If it’s God’s standard then who decides how we as humans measure up to them if we are all ‘sinful beings?’
Just some points to consider. I think maybe we all need to be a little more careful with what we say and the way we perceive others. And to keep in mind that any man, whether he be a leader, president, or pastor, regardless of social status, authority, class, or religion, is not exempt from taking a big fall. And that can mean whatever you want it to mean.
Remember Clinton. Right, that was a dumb question, who doesn’t remember Clinton. During his ‘scandalous presidential affair’ (ha. no pun intended), I lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Yup the conservative, Christian capital of the nation. If I remember correctly, many Christians in the town had a very big problem with the whole Monica Lewinsky ordeal. Why? Because by their standards, the actions committed by the two were morally wrong. Everyone was asking how could it be that our county’s leader was having an affair…what’s more lie about it on national television…and then still be called our president? Oh, that’s horrific! Absolutely ridiculous! What kind of example is he setting for our children!? What does this say about the quality of his leadership!? At least this was my perception of the attitude of several Christians in the city and even at my church.
Let’s fast forward a few years to the present. At this same church there was a similar event which passed. This time with the pastor himself. Not only was he called out for buying meth (whether he used it or not is still unknown), but also for having some kind of ‘sexual relation’, over a three year period, with a homosexual male prostitute. What’s more, he initially denied these claims and even ever knowing the man. The church, the city, the nation for that matter, was shocked by this news. Now here’s what confuses me. Everyone at the church, though deeply hurt by what happened, is in full support of the pastor and his family…realizing that even the strongest of leaders aren’t exempt from falling, and from what I can gather, from the computer in my little room in France across the globe, is that most feel that this weakens the legitimacy of his teachings or his leadership skills. And most importantly, everyone is ‘praying hard’ for the pastor and his family.
Now I do not bring this up to point fingers, nor to condemn, nor to say that Christians are hypocritical because in all truthfulness I hate hearing such comments. Those things are all overused, especially with religious topics. I merely bring this up because I find it intriguing and I have questions. Here are a few: Why is it that both were considered wrong, at least by Christian standards, but Clinton’s case was looked upon very negatively and the pastor’s, positively. Positive in the sense that the church says it’s a chance to pull through, to be strong in faith, to trust in God, etc. I don’t ever recall hearing such statements by Christians during the time of Clinton’s ‘scandal.’ Why did Clinton’s leadership credibility plummet yet not that of the Pastor’s (at least in the eyes of the church body)? And do you think the moral standards of a pastor should be higher than those of a president? Or should both be weighed by the same standards? Which makes me ask who creates those standards? If it’s God’s standard then who decides how we as humans measure up to them if we are all ‘sinful beings?’
Just some points to consider. I think maybe we all need to be a little more careful with what we say and the way we perceive others. And to keep in mind that any man, whether he be a leader, president, or pastor, regardless of social status, authority, class, or religion, is not exempt from taking a big fall. And that can mean whatever you want it to mean.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home