CSP: Impressions of the Cinémathèque
October 5, 2006
The only place I’ve really spent much time at is the Cinémathèque. I have been on a few different occasions: though it probably goes unspoken, a couple times were just to attain some information on the place itself. I spoke with three different individuals and from what I can gather the Cinémathèque seems to be an organization dedicated to bringing the art of cinema to the city of Toulouse, not only by showing films, but actually hosting events centered around the cultural happenings of the city. For instance, during the month of October there was a Jazz festival in Toulouse…
“pour célébrer le 20e anniversaire de Jazz sur son 31, la Cinémathèque de Toulouse consacre toute sa porgrammation d’octobre aux lieux qui accueillent la musique de jazz. Parce que nous ne voulions pas presenter simplement des films sur cette musique et que nous souhaitions accompagner cette édition exceptionnelle du Festival, nous avons choisi d’explorer l’espace dans lequel émerge le jazz: cabarets, caves, dancings, ces lieux sont l’occasion pour le cinéma d’exalter le décore et de magnifier le huis-clos.” (taken from the program I picked up at the Cinémathèque)
In addition to having films playing around the cities cultural events, the Cinémathèque also has a cinema library in which I was able to spend some time. This is somewhat separate from the Cinémathèque as you have to pay a fee to enter. But the have a varitey of resources here which could be a great resource for me, in general, to learn more about film and cinema. They have, « un ensemble d’affiches, photos, ouvrages, revues spécialisées, dossiers de presse, bandes originales de films, dont l’importance et la diversité sont reconnues à un niveau tant national qu’international » (a collection of posters, photographes, books and texts, special reviews, newspaper/journal records, and original film strips, whose importance and diveristy are recognized both nationally and internationally). I don’t know of many resources like this in the States, so I hope to take advantage of it while I’m here.
New vocab word! : à huis-clos—in camera
The only place I’ve really spent much time at is the Cinémathèque. I have been on a few different occasions: though it probably goes unspoken, a couple times were just to attain some information on the place itself. I spoke with three different individuals and from what I can gather the Cinémathèque seems to be an organization dedicated to bringing the art of cinema to the city of Toulouse, not only by showing films, but actually hosting events centered around the cultural happenings of the city. For instance, during the month of October there was a Jazz festival in Toulouse…
“pour célébrer le 20e anniversaire de Jazz sur son 31, la Cinémathèque de Toulouse consacre toute sa porgrammation d’octobre aux lieux qui accueillent la musique de jazz. Parce que nous ne voulions pas presenter simplement des films sur cette musique et que nous souhaitions accompagner cette édition exceptionnelle du Festival, nous avons choisi d’explorer l’espace dans lequel émerge le jazz: cabarets, caves, dancings, ces lieux sont l’occasion pour le cinéma d’exalter le décore et de magnifier le huis-clos.” (taken from the program I picked up at the Cinémathèque)
In addition to having films playing around the cities cultural events, the Cinémathèque also has a cinema library in which I was able to spend some time. This is somewhat separate from the Cinémathèque as you have to pay a fee to enter. But the have a varitey of resources here which could be a great resource for me, in general, to learn more about film and cinema. They have, « un ensemble d’affiches, photos, ouvrages, revues spécialisées, dossiers de presse, bandes originales de films, dont l’importance et la diversité sont reconnues à un niveau tant national qu’international » (a collection of posters, photographes, books and texts, special reviews, newspaper/journal records, and original film strips, whose importance and diveristy are recognized both nationally and internationally). I don’t know of many resources like this in the States, so I hope to take advantage of it while I’m here.
New vocab word! : à huis-clos—in camera


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home