CSP: Setting, Challenges, Advantages
September 27,2006
Considering that my CSP isn’t in one particular setting, let’s start out with some of the challenges that may arise because of this. It will require more work on my part because there isn’t a weekly event that I can attend; therefore in the days to come I’ll need to be on the look out for different events throughout the city. Obviously the Cinémathèque is a great resource for me (a really unique one at that), so I hope to spend a good amount of time there. They not only show films but they have events related to cinema each month (this itself seems to speak to the way cinema influences culture here). These events will be good for me to attend for observing the cinema culture in Toulouse as well as try to make connections/contacts in the “world of cinema,” if you will…or at least with people who just like movies :)
The other most obvious places to find cinematic events are the theatres in town, particularly ABC and the Utopia since they play a wider selection of films from the independent scene…meaning I’ll have more luck finding films that aren’t just American box office movies dubbed in French.
There is a ciné-club that I heard of at Sabatier. I tried contacting them, but have yet to receive a reply. Also contacted a French website that connects video professionals throughout France, but again, I haven’t heard back. If things unfold anything like my past experiences here in France, I’m going to assume neither will respond, but it’s always worth a try.
My last resource as of now is Michäel. I really hope to speak with him and any connections with whom he might be able to put me in contact. I really am hoping that some good connections come from this because I would really like to have a chance to speak directly with individuals interested in film or who work in the industry. This could really help me gain some good insight on the importance of cinema and its cultural influences on the French.
Though not having a particular setting could be a challenge, I think it really could allow me to have a much broader understanding of all the ways film influence the culture here. Having my information come from a variety of sources may allow for a more accurate representation of the cinema culture in Toulouse/France as opposed to just one club or one weekly event.
Considering that my CSP isn’t in one particular setting, let’s start out with some of the challenges that may arise because of this. It will require more work on my part because there isn’t a weekly event that I can attend; therefore in the days to come I’ll need to be on the look out for different events throughout the city. Obviously the Cinémathèque is a great resource for me (a really unique one at that), so I hope to spend a good amount of time there. They not only show films but they have events related to cinema each month (this itself seems to speak to the way cinema influences culture here). These events will be good for me to attend for observing the cinema culture in Toulouse as well as try to make connections/contacts in the “world of cinema,” if you will…or at least with people who just like movies :)
The other most obvious places to find cinematic events are the theatres in town, particularly ABC and the Utopia since they play a wider selection of films from the independent scene…meaning I’ll have more luck finding films that aren’t just American box office movies dubbed in French.
There is a ciné-club that I heard of at Sabatier. I tried contacting them, but have yet to receive a reply. Also contacted a French website that connects video professionals throughout France, but again, I haven’t heard back. If things unfold anything like my past experiences here in France, I’m going to assume neither will respond, but it’s always worth a try.
My last resource as of now is Michäel. I really hope to speak with him and any connections with whom he might be able to put me in contact. I really am hoping that some good connections come from this because I would really like to have a chance to speak directly with individuals interested in film or who work in the industry. This could really help me gain some good insight on the importance of cinema and its cultural influences on the French.
Though not having a particular setting could be a challenge, I think it really could allow me to have a much broader understanding of all the ways film influence the culture here. Having my information come from a variety of sources may allow for a more accurate representation of the cinema culture in Toulouse/France as opposed to just one club or one weekly event.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home